(1 Peter 5:8-9) If I were Satan ... How I'd Rip and Roar!

In The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis used an older tempter named Screwtape to instruct his nephew Wormwood in the art of destroying the lives of unsuspecting "patients." He taught the junior tempter to confuse them and keep them disconnected from God. For a few minutes I will be playing the part of the devil.  If I were him:

I'd wage war on a man ...

    - I'd mess him up and warp his perspective, because
    - Men are uniquely situated in their family reflect the glory of God
    - Men were purposely, divinely entrusted with spiritual leadership
     - If you can negatively affect men, you have gone far down the road to destroying the family
     - Men and biblical manhood are phenomenal strategic targets for the enemy

I'd make him religious ...
            but not a follower of Jesus
I'd dissuade him from reading John 17:3 or 1 John 5:13. I'd blind him from this: "But why do you call Me, 'Lord, Lord,' but don't do the things I say?" (Luke 6:46).  I'd make him think that some childhood confession that hadn't really affected the direction of his life in anything like a significant, transformational way is just fine as religious experience goes.  I'd make him think that he has satisfied the unique demands of the Gospel by his regular church attendance.  I'd keep words like "repentance" and phrases like "the Kingdom of God" assigned to the deep recesses of his brain.  I would be sure that he never gave serious thought to the connection (or difference) between the phrases "Christian" and "follower of Christ."  I'd build a religious veneer around his heart so thick and hard that the Gospel of grace never stands a chance.

I'd make him a tyrant ...
            instead of a servant-leader
I'd make him an irresponsible, overbearing, domineering bully.  I'd make him a tyrant at church and at home.  I'd make the basis of his leadership his volume and threats and manipulation rather than his humble availability to his Master.  I'd make him think that his headship is in no way related to compassion or character but is primarily about control.  I would make sure he couldn't tell the difference between being demanding and being an example.  I'd work day and night to hide from him the Bible verse that says, "The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit" (Psalm 34:18).  I'd never let him near the passage that says, "But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: 'God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.' Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.  Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.  Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.  Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up" (James 4:6-10).
I'd make him busy ...
            but unfocused
I'd keep him far away from that half-baked poem John Piper quotes: "Only one life will soon be passed/Only what's done for Christ will last."  I'd make him out of balance with respect to vocation and recreation.  I'd take his job and his hobby and give them a priority out of any reasonable proportion. I'd make him supremely passionate about the wrong things.  I'd have him so out of balance that all the demons would be laughing at him.  I'd make him someone hell doesn't take very seriously.  I'd fill his mouth with opinions about everything but the Gospel.  I'd fill his hands with everything except the tools of ministry (Ephesians 2:10).  I'd have him thinking that Sunday School and church are for sissies.  I would have him up and out the door every day without thought to the disciplines that cultivate a worshiping life.  I would make him so busy that his only recourse is self-sufficiency.

I'd make him a materialist ...
            instead of a giver
I'd hide the saying of Jesus: "Take heed and beware of covetousness, for a man's life does not consist in the abundance of things he possesses" (Luke 12:15) far from him.  (See 1 Timothy 6).  I'd give him a thoroughly unbiblical and unhealthy view of possessions.  I'd make him so tight he squeaked when he walked.  I'd drill into him a thoroughly unhealthy and unsound view of ownership.  I'd make him satisfied with the most meager concept of sacrifice.  I'd make him a lover of things and a user of people.  I'd have him accumulating possessions and living by the bumper-sticker mentality that "whoever dies with the most toys wins," and I'd do it so subtly, he'd never even see the attitude of his own heart.  I would have him building bigger barns and saying to himself, "Soul take your ease.  You have everything you could want, and your own hands have done this."  How shocked he will be to hear his master say: "You fool! This very night your soul is required of you.  Now whose will these things be?"

I'd give him attachments ...
            without true worship
I'd make him a slave to secret passions.  I'd erase 1 Corinthians 13 from his memory so that he had no real concept of godly love.  I'd have him compromised, confused and so filled with shame that he would be essentially unwilling to serve God and his family and church.  I'd work to ensure that he kept his sexual ethic and identity completely segregated from his ideas about discipleship.  I would keep him up after his family was in bed, channel surfing or surfing the web.  I would cause his passions to shout so loud that all other voices, the voices of reason and self-control were muted altogether.  I'd make him an addict and an idolater.  I would ease him into some ungodly attachment and then hammer him with the voice of hopelessness.  I would have him so stuck, that under no conditions could he believe that grace could reverse his situation.  I would hide from his eyes the example that might easily be gleaned from the failure of multitudes of good men who fell and fell hard.  I would cause him to dismiss the scripture that says, "Let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall."

 I'd give him authority ...
            without accountability
I'd fill him with an American concept of manhood, instead of a biblical one.  I'd make him think that meekness is weakness.  I'd take confession and accountability out of his mental processes and vocabulary and certainly from his practice, because real men aren't vulnerable.  Real men don't cry and real men don't talk about what really matters, no matter if it's killing them.

Now if I could step out of character for a moment:

Guard your heart (Proverbs 4:23) - It pains me to tell you how many friends I have listened to as they described the tragic consequences of personal failure and the toll that it has taken, and the unbelievable cost for them personally and the uncertainty of the road ahead as they try and process what often amounts to great loss professionally and more importantly, relationally. And I've listened and prayed and counseled knowing that it could be me--knowing that my adversary the devil walks about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.  Guard your heart!

Live by unshakeable, uncompromising, bedrock biblical convictions (Matthew 7:24).  Build your life around the truth of God's Word.  To do that you have to know it.  It has to become your default setting.  The Bible has to become the final word for you.  It has to trump your feelings and friends' advice.  It has to keep you anchored when life is throwing all the hard things at you.  It has to speak louder than the siren voices that try and seduce you.  It has to speak louder than your frustrations.  It has to speak louder than commercials and media.  It has to counsel you when you are confused.  The Word of God has to inform your whole view of the world.  It has to outline your definition of success in that it reveals God's person and purposes to you.

Comments