Why Family is Always Worth the Effort: A Christmas Devotion

 As I have gotten older I have witnessed continual changes in family dynamics.  Family members pass away: I have seen two great-grandmothers and all my grandparents and now both my parents depart this world.  Not only that but nieces and nephews and my own children have gotten older, and some now have children of their own.  Add to that the fact that families usually experience other kinds of loss and changes such as divorce and remarriage.  Additionally, since I am married, my wife's family dynamics are also mine--whatever changes there, we all experience the adjustments that follow together.  A person who doesn't like change is going to struggle as they try and function in their family.  This morning as I read 1 Peter 3:8 it really spoke to me about how to keep perspective, and even have joy, though family dynamics are ever changing.

1 Peter 3:8 (NLT) Finally, all of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude. 
 
Be of one mind - work together toward community (a good word)--it's worth it!  Work toward harmony with everyone, even if it's frustrating, because God is demonstrated in unity.  It pleases and honors and reflects Him.

Be full of sympathy - instead of resentment and building a list of grievances to nurse, try and understand one another.  Sym-pathy - I enter into what you care about.  "Toward each other" - extending yourself, reaching, willing to be vulnerable--willing to risk hurt and to spend yourself for each other.

Loving one another - philadelphos = brotherly love, kindness--really, family love.  Love gives, cares and looks out for others.

With tender hearts - allowing ourselves to remain impressionable, tossing out cynicism and resisting the urge to let our hurts and speculations about others' motives and intents cloud our godly love for each other.

And humble minds - humility is that quality that if I think I have it, I probably don't.  Not grovelling, hangdog playing the victim, but appraising myself properly before God so that I can actively live my life as a worshiper.  It is the overflow of worshiping God.  As I see God, living as a creature naturally follows.  I see myself as a recipient of blessings to which I have no special right.  Therefore I see myself properly in relation to others-especially those closest to me who I am responsible to hold as special in my heart.

Comments