The Need for Third Way Thinking

Before writing I Googled this phrase to see if I had created something novel. Of course, as I suspected, there is nothing new under the sun. Google runs on for pages with this idea as a term for attempting to bridge left wing and right wing politics. That’s not where I am going. It has occurred to me that when there are differences among people, and I am particularly thinking of churches, which is where my life is focused, the responses are too often destructive to community. We tend to start staking out our territory, assuming a defensive posture and preparing for war. But war has casualties. The world has plenty enough fallout from battling factions. Not to sound unrealistically Utopian, but what if we stopped and found a new approach? What if, instead of polarized, all or nothing, win/lose thinking, we tried to find ways that our interests and Biblical mandates overlapped so that we could go forward together?

What we Might Discover

Instead of bitterness and brokenness we might find peace and wholeness. Instead of the experience of devaluing and disrespecting each other we might find respect and value in each other. In the place of suspicion we might find trust. In the place of gossip—talking about each other we might find dialogue—talking to each other. Rather than being combatants we could become collaborators. Instead of inflicting wounds we could ask, “How can I help heal?” Instead of always talking or preparing to talk I might actually listen.

Instead of issuing ultimatums we could choose to search out alternatives. Rather than harping on problems we could energetically explore solutions. Instead of burning bridges we could build bridges. Instead of thinking just about my own needs I could consider the group’s well-being. Instead of living in the past we could construct a desirable future. Rather than taking rigid positions, I could be flexible. Rather than fixating on my preferences I could decide just to take a stand when principles are at issue. Instead of the burden of a growing list of adversaries we could decide to make friends. Rather than doggedly holding to my pride I could humble myself. In the place of angry hostility I could discover joyful receptiveness. I could. We could.

Caveat

There are always non-negotiable issues, but this should not prevent our attempting to find common ground with others when possible. We could let the pursuit of peace become our default setting (Hebrews 12:14).

Comments