The truth about your church attendance

This may be surprising, but I don't think church should be a person's first priority. It's not mine and I work in ministry. God and my wife Frankie come before church. But it's reasonable to ask, if we say Jesus is Lord, where does Christ's church fit into my priorities? What's a reasonable expectation of my time weekly for worship, witness, and service?

Definition - What do I mean by church? The most basic definition of ecclesia is a gathering of people who believe that Jesus is their resurrected Lord. They express this by coming together in the same physical space frequently to worship. The aspects of their worship are usually singing, prayer, observing ordinances and engagement with Scripture. In Scripture the church was a movement. First Century Christians took the Good News of Jesus into the world. They were eyewitnesses that He was resurrected.

Motivation - This is the big head scratcher to me. If Jesus is truly the Savior and only way to God (John 14:6, Acts 4:12), then there is no more gripping reality. And yet modern Christians are in the grip of lots of other distractions. US Christians' commitment to gathering is at an all time low.* As a pastor I know that brow-beating doesn't change the attendance patterns of congregants, except to perhaps drive them further away. The goal isn't to make people feel bad, but to help them to change.

Evaluation - I've spent the last 5 years trying to understand how to change deeply. There were aspects of my life I wasn't pleased with and I have tried to understand myself more so that my discipleship could seep into some of the crevices where I need to heal and grow. Growth starts with honesty. I think many American Christians could benefit from just looking closely and honestly at their priorities. Maybe a person needs to look at the underlying reasons their local church participation has dwindled.

  • Maybe you are out of balance with leisure and recreation. I think that is a biggie for many people. We are trying to keep our lives and are unwilling to count the cost of serving Christ. Recreation is important, but it will ultimately make a disappointing god. Does leisure or recreation frequently disrupt your ability to connect with the local church where you are a member?
  • Maybe you are dealing with some deeply felt disappointment. After 30 years in ministry I know how that feels. But doesn't it seem clear that Jesus has equipped us with means of moving beyond those kinds of feelings? It isn't reasonable to let that sideline you indefinitely. When I feel that way, after a while I realize I am thinking about myself more than Christ and His mission. Have I suffered more than Jesus?
  • Maybe you have just developed some lazy patterns. Meanwhile, your church may be circling the drain. Lots of smaller member churches are struggling because their members' involvement is so erratic. And this is just when it comes to staffing and fulfilling basic tasks. Not to mention the deficiency that is left to fulfill community ministry and imitate the outward movement of the early church.
  • Maybe you relocated but didn't renew a connection to a local church. Finding a new church when you move an unreasonable distance from your old fellowship can be difficult. Ultimately church is a family we belong to and where we are known, not a product to be consumed. Don't approach it as a product; look at a local church as a place that God wants you to grow and contribute from your life.
  • Maybe you are dealing with an overwhelming challenge. Maybe your circumstances shifted and you are a caregiver, or are convalescing. This is why pastors shouldn't brow-beat. People are often doing the best they can with realities they wish weren't so. What you need is the church to be its best for you.
My challenge to anyone would be to look at your week and ask, is my involvement with my local church costly? Am I out of balance in how I use my time? Am I being honest with myself? If everyone's involvement looked like mine, what would the church's future hold? People only change deeply when we are willing to embrace new patterns. We change deeply by interrupting our old, inadequate habits with new behaviors that make us better humans. Look, God built reality to work so that church commitment is a vital aspect of human thriving. A.W. Tozer said, "It is scarcely possible in most places to get anyone to attend a meeting where the only attraction is God." That's a disturbing thought. May we in our hearts and behavior be just the opposite.


*https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

AReligious declinell reactioFrankie Braswell, Carol Braswell Newman and 19 other

Comments