Advent for Amateurs - Traditions

Families have some interesting ways to celebrate Christmas. My family's traditions were pretty basic. Except that my dad decorated so much our house was visible to the sputnik spy satellite. And fireworks. Yep. Roman candles, bottle rockets, and sparklers were incorporated into our Christmas Eve mashup. 

We lived in Augusta. Fireworks were not legal. "Frowned upon" was the way we liked to think about it. But they could be had a short distance away at Wacky Wayne's or Tacky Tony's in North Augusta, SC. So we'd hustle over there like lightweight bootleggers and bring home our swag. 

One year my dad had a bonfire going in some metal disc in the driveway (we lived in a subdivision). And had a Roman Candle in hand, blasting away at the night sky when Richmond County's finest pulled up. It's pretty hard to hide a Roman Candle on short notice. My mom, demure as she was, closed the blinds until it was over. My dad greeted the officer with his free hand. Nothing came of it. 

I don't know how we arrive at some of the traditions we practice in the human family to observe Christmas. Like Jim Gaffigan said, dragging a live tree into the living room seems like the behavior of a drunk person. I just did it again. Stark sober. 

But whatever your traditions are, if it just isn't Christmas without ambrosia (not the band, a concoction involving oranges, cherries, coconut and pecans), do it. If it just isn't Christmas without fireworks or Chex mix, or sugar cookies or tacky sweaters, have at it. Even if you like fruit cake, enjoy!

God gave us an indescribable gift in Jesus. A surpassing gift. A personal centering reality who is meant to be passed down generationally. I don't know how we got some of the practices we observe. Some say from the pagans. I love how Joe McKeever answers that:

To those who want to do away with Christmas because its origins are pagan, I reply: "Well, so are mine. Thank the Lord He redeemed me. Now, He is Lord over all my life and over every day on my calendar. The pagans own no days on my calendar. It all belongs to Jesus."  Merry Christmas, everybody!!

Enjoy your Advent celebrations. Remember Jesus. God made you for joy. 

Comments